The 2020 Annual Concerto Competition for String, Wind, Brass, and Percussion is now set as below:
- What: Youth Symphony of DuPage Annual Concerto Competition 2020
- Date: January 26, 2020
- Time: 12 pm – 5:00pm
- Location: Wentz Concert Hall Studios, 171 E. Chicago Ave, Naperville, IL 60540 (Please note that the location info has been modified)
- Prize: $100 for the Concert level 1st place winner and $200 for Symphony level 1st place winner.
- Requirement: YSDP Concert and symphony members and all selections must be memorized, please get prior approval from Dr. Liu.
- Application Due Date: January 23, 2020
- Fees: There is a $25 non-refundable competition fee. The fee is due with the application by January 23, 2019.
Register now Here or clink here: http://www.ysdp.org/annual-concerto-contest/
PAST WINNERS: The Prior 1st place winners must wait one year to apply for the competition.
Pease note that the competition schedule fills up fast and we are accepting the applications first come first accepted basis. The audition time will be assigned upon receipt of the completed application and the payment.
- The competition is open to YSDP members only.
- There is a $25 non-refundable competition fee. You will not be given an audition time until your fee has been paid and your form has been filled out and turned in.
- Please receive prior approval of your music selection from Dr. Liu before you begin rehearsing, memorizing and being assigned a time for the competition.
- All selections must be memorized.
- You must play one complete movement of a piece and the piece should be no longer than 10 minutes in length.
- You must provide an original and photocopy of your music for the judges. Have measures clearly marked on both copies.
- You must provide your own piano accompanist at the audition.
- Dress is formal or concert attire.
To Symphony Members:
- Orchestral accompaniments must be easily accessible and affordable for rental purposes should you be chosen to perform with the Symphony Orchestra during the April concert.
- Please research and inform YSDP of the cost and availability of your music selection before receiving approval.
- Discuss with your private teacher on where / how to get access to the orchestral accompaniment parts.
- You must play complete movements of pieces. Appropriate cuts may be used if the piece is too long. Only one movement can be used for the audition.
- Judges will determine 1st, 2nd and 3rd placements in each division. Honorable mentions may also be given.
- Judges may opt not to give 1st places if they feel certain criteria and standards have not been met.
- Final decisions concerning solo performances are at the sole discretion of the Music Director.
Selected Concert and Symphony 1st Place Winners may perform at the February or April concerts.
- The Symphony Concerto 1st Place Winner will receive $200 and perform their piece with the Symphony Orchestra.
- The Concert Concerto 1st Place Winner will receive $100 and perform their piece with their piano accompanist.