2020 String, Wind, Brass and Percussion Concerto Competition
- TBA, 2020
- Wentz Concert Hall, North Central College
- 171 E. Chicago Ave., Naperville, IL 60540
- 12 Noon to 6:00 PM
NOTE: The Concerto Competition is held in the Wentz practice rooms located on the north side of the building. Please enter through these doors and NOT through the main lobby entrance.
- TBA, 2020
- All applications and prior approval must be received no later than TDA, 2020 or until the competition schedule is full, whichever comes first.
- The competition is open only to YSDP members.
- There is a $25 non-refundable competition fee. You will not be given an audition time until your fee has been paid and your form has been filled out and turned in.
- Please receive prior approval of your music selection from Dr. Liu before you begin rehearsing, memorizing and being assigned a time for the competition.
- All selections must be memorized.
- You must play one complete movement of a piece and the piece should be no longer than 10 minutes in length.
- You must provide an original and photocopy of your music for the judges. Have measures clearly marked on both copies.
- You must provide your own piano accompanist at the audition.
- Dress is formal or concert attire.
To Symphony Members:
- Orchestral accompaniments must be easily accessible and affordable for rental purposes should you be chosen to perform with the Symphony Orchestra during the April concert.
- Please research and inform YSDP of the cost and availability of your music selection before receiving approval.
- Discuss with your private teacher on where / how to get access to the orchestral accompaniment parts.
- You must play complete movements of pieces. Appropriate cuts may be used if the piece is too long. Only one movement can be used for the audition.
- Judges will determine 1st, 2nd and 3rd placements in each division. Honorable mentions may also be given.
- Judges may opt not to give 1st places if they feel certain criteria and standards have not been met.
- Final decisions concerning solo performances are at the sole discretion of the Music Director.
Selected Concert and Symphony Winners may perform at the February or April concerts.
- The Symphony concerto winner(s) will perform their piece with the Symphony Orchestra.
- The Concert concerto winner(s) will perform their piece with their piano accompanist.
DEADLINE: Application forms and prior approval are DUE no later than TBA, 2020 or until the competition schedule is full, whichever comes first.
NOTE TO PAST WINNERS: If you have won 1st in Concert and are now in Symphony, you must wait one year before auditioning at the Symphony level. Once you have received 1st place at the Symphony level, you must wait one year before auditioning again.